Sunday: THE ACCIDENT!

by - lipnja 01, 2019

I wasn't planning on writing such a thing in English as I thought most of my audience understands Bosnian. However, I recently saw that I have so many of my international friends eager to know what actually happened and what's the secret behind my short hair. Is it just my preferred style, or is it something else? Enjoy...


A beautiful spring day. You could know by the sound of birds chirping in the early morning that it would not be a dull day. Each day was getting warmer during the middle of the month, May.
As summer was right around the corner, every day passed with me being anxious about my body figure and wanting to achieve the perfect look: just for summer. I woke up with the intent to go to a lookout, already prepared with a whole efficient plan, me and my friend agreeing to go together. As a matter of a fact, we actually were training at the same fitness coach for one or two weeks now, so going together to a lookout was a super good idea for us both to have a nice day and burn some calories. Everyone we talked to up to that point told us that we should go with our bicycles, rather than walking all the way up the hill. It was a far trip from our neighborhood to the lookout, but the view proved us how easy it was to forget all of the sweat drained by these 3 hours of dragging our bicycles next to us and well, walking up the hill. Fortunately, just after a minute passed of us admiring the lookout view, our very close friends came to the hill. They were with their parents, coming there as a weekend getaway and a fun way to spend time with your family, as any other family should. They walked up to the hill, they had no bicycles, just bare feet. The father of our friends commented on us bringing our bicycles, saying how it was a good idea and how we made a great decision. The rest of the time on the lookout was spent with us talking, joking and laughing at each other, even writing in a little notebook we found on the lookout, which the Hiking community left there just so everybody could write their opinion or even fun stories from the lookout. My friends and I wrote a funny story of our experience, wanting to make people laugh if they ever read it. Once enough time has passed and once my mother had already called me 4 times, we decided that it was time for us to head home. It was a very dangerous road. Curve after curve, bump after bump, going through a forest that had snakes which greeted me whilst I was passing, as well as an undeniably big amount of rocks on the ground. My friend and I were both very hungry so we agreed to rush home, without making many stops. I called my mom, letting her know we were heading home safely, both of us safe and sound. I left my phone in my friend's backpack, it being more secure and having more space. We started going down the hill, having straight roads as well, making stops every five minutes in the beginning, but making the last stop only fifteen minutes before we should've already been home. At that stop, we agreed to not make any more as both of our stomachs were angrily growling at us, both of us being undeniably hungry. I didn't have a proper breakfast and the only thing I really snacked on was a granola bar with some coffee to pair it with. A stupid decision, but we all make those. You could say the thing riding me back home wasn't my actual bicycle, but my hungriness. I didn't drive fast and I always held my break, in case I might start going too fast. BANG!
My eyes are taking a while to open. My eyelids are heavier than before and it's taking a while for me to realize where I'm situated. The lights are dim and there are so many unfamiliar people around me. My first thought was that I am in Bosanska Krupa, my home town. It looked like my town's hospital, very dull and dim, hence me thinking I got a little sick and needed to get checked up at the doctor's. I asked the nurses in the room if I could go home. I had left my house on Sunday without studying or revising Biology and Chemistry, so I had panicked, knowing I had much homework waiting for me back home. Little did I know it was two days after. To be exact, I was in a coma for two days. They put me in a coma so my body could get some rest. Once they told me that I smashed my skull and that I don't have a big bone in my head, I didn't believe them. I asked them to call my mom, me as a 13-year-old child not being able to process anything that was happening in the given moment. I was still under the influence of my anesthesia. I wasn't aware that so much time had already passed and that something so severe and dangerous had happened to me. My mother explained to me that what happened wasn't just a scratch. She told me I had fallen off my bicycle, smashed both sides of my skull and hurt myself really bad. Luckily, my hero, my neurosurgeon, saved me. If only a minute more had passed, I wouldn't be here writing this story for all of you to read. I was in the hospital for ten more days. I thought that once I got home, my life would get back in order. Little did I know I would be on a very strict regime. For 2 months straight I couldn't lay a hand on phone, laptop or television, I couldn't read, draw or color a simple kids coloring book. I couldn't go to school or hang out with my friends the whole summer due to me not being able to expose myself to the sun. It was hard, but look where I am now. I am the strongest girl I know. Even after I got the information of me not being able to do sports and crying over it, I settled my mind and agreed with it. After all, this experience has only made me the strong, independent girl I am now. I wouldn't be here publishing my work if it were the end of me. If it weren't for my tire that got drained, my break that stopped functioning, I wouldn't be writing this. I wouldn't be able to let you learn from my mistakes. So, learn from what I did wrong. Wear a helmet and don't go on a trip to a road u had never explored before. Take care of yourself.
I might have been lucky. Some other person might not be as lucky as I was. I don't want you to look into death's eyes like I did.
Life is like a bicycle ride. You have to keep riding to maintain your balance. 


You May Also Like

2 komentari